How Can Foreign Nationals Find Employment In The U.S?

Image by 272447 from Pixabay

For many, the American Dream is still very much alive. The opportunity to move to a different country to enhance your career and experience a new culture while making new friends is a lifetime experience. The U.S. has fantastic employment and educational opportunities, whether it’s for a short period or permanently.

Like most countries, the U.S has many ways for you to grow as a person depending on your career goals. Visas are available for seasonal workers, temporary workers, as well as exchange visitor work and study visas. For those looking at a permanent residency, there are employment-related green cards.

Getting hold of a U.S. visa is a lengthy process, so we have put together a guide for obtaining permits, and we have included the best way to spot visa scams.

Let’s begin by highlighting which workers can obtain a visa.

Authorized Visas for Workers in the U.S

U.S. visas are divided into two categories; permanent immigrant works and temporary works, who are non-immigrant. Sub-categories include:

  • Green Card Holder
  • Temporary Worker Visa (for skilled workers)
  • Temporary Work Visas (for non-agricultural workers)
  • Season Agricultural Worker Visas
  • Exchange Visitor Visa

How Do You Acquire a U.S Work Visa?

Anybody who isn’t an American citizen or a permanent resident by law will require both a work visa and a permit to work, which is officially called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You will need to have a visa before entering the U.S. To obtain the visa you require; you will have to apply at the U.S Embassy or Consulate in the country where you reside or the closest office. For your visa, you will need to ensure you are eligible, depending on the type of visa and the most recent laws.

Applying for your Green Card

To be able to permanently reside in the U.S and also get a Green Card, you will need a certificate from the U.S. Department of Labor. This certificate states that there is a labour shortage in the area you wish to work in and that you won’t be taking the job away from an American worker. If you are applying through a job, you can complete the process once you are abroad as long as you have been given an immigrant visa number.

Applying for your U.S Work Permit

The work permit, which is needed in conjunction with a work visa, is also necessary for non-citizens and residents who aren’t lawfully permanent. This Employment Authorization Document shows that you have permission to work in the U.S. EADs are issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Applying for your Social Security Card

A Social Security Card will contain a unique number that is used to report wages and determine whether you are eligible for benefits. You can apply in your home country at the same time you apply for your visa through the U.S. Department of State. Alternatively, you can apply at a Social Security Office in the U.S, but don’t forget to take proof of your authorization to work.

How to Verify Your Eligibility to Work

With an I-9 form, your employer in the U.S will be able to check that you are eligible to work in the U.S.

U.S Work Visa Scams

The safest way to apply for your visa, work permit, and social security card is through the official government websites or offices. There is no fee for the application, so if you see charges associated with applying for the documents, this should raise a red flag.

Checking Your Visa Process

Legislation, laws and policies are continually changing. To stay informed of any changes in the visa process, you can check on the Visa Bulletin.

Job application

The next step is to upload your resume on job boards such as, allowing prospective employers looking for particular talents to find your information. This makes job searching about as easy as it gets. Just be sure to fully complete your resume information to attract more employers.